Are you ready for the exchange?
You should be between 15 and 17 years old, provide a good school report and have a good background in Spanish. You need to be open minded, ready to observe and adapt. You must be able to approach others and be prepared to create a new circle of friends. And, you need to be open to behaviors different from those you are accustomed to.
Based on our experience, your exchange year will be a success if you can answer the following questions with a “yes”:
- Will you be OK away from your parents, friends and daily routines (e.g. meal times, sports and other leisure activities) for an extended period of time?
- Will you be OK without the things you are accustomed to, such as: internet in your house; your own room; taking long showers or a refrigerator filled with your favorite foods?
- Will you be able to integrate into a new family with different customs and traditions? Become “one of them” by sharing the same privileges and chores?
- Do you like meeting new people?
- Can you adapt to behaviors different from the ones you are familiar with (e.g. different leisure time activities, relations between girls and boys and more traditional customs)?
- Because of all the new, enriching experiences you will be acquiring during this time abroad, you will probably not be the same person as before your trip. You might even want to make new friends when you return! Do you think you will be OK with that?