Hippotherapy is a form of physical, occupational and speech therapy in which a therapist uses the characteristic movements of a horse to provide carefully graded motor and sensory input. Derived from the Greek hippos (horse), "hippotherapy" literally refers to treatment or therapy aided by a horse. The center in Santiago, founded in 1992, works with mentally and physically disabled children and adolescents, to improve their quality of life. They also educate ergotherapists in Chile.
- Your duties are to support the Physiotherapeutes at work with the horse and with the children.
- Before starting the classes you will have to take care of the horses and make them ready for the calm work with the children. This means that you have to ride them for a little while and put all the equipment onto the horses.
- The handling and care of the horses are part of your tasks.
- The final contact with the parents about their children's progress is another important issue of your assignments during the internship.
- For longer stays, you'll note remarkable changes in the little patients.
- Tuesday - Friday: 14 - 19 hrs
- Saturday: 9 - 15 hrs (optional)
- Basic spanish knowledge
- Social Skills
- Interest in working with children and adolescents
- Experience in horse handling